Saturday, March 7, 2009

Addiction

So, I've had my iPhone for a couple of weeks now and I can safely say I'm addicted to the applications store. I currently have five pages of applications (including the page of apps that came with the phone). I figured I would write up a little list of my top five applications, and why they are essential to me (not in any particular order):


1.) Tumblr
I post to Tumblr a couple of times a day, and since the iPhone does not support MMS messaging, this application is extremely useful for uploading pictures and one sentence blurbs that occur during the day (that I just have the urge to send to the strangers in internet land). It's faster than connecting to the site online, and has options to send your multimedia and a number of ways. It also lets you view your following list without having to continually zoom in to see it. Price: Free


2.)Flickit
I have a paid Flickr account because I use it as an indepth props portfolio that future employeers can see without me showing my actual paper portfolio. I use it all the time, and have tons of photos uploaded. Sometimes when I don't have my camera with me, I take pictures using my cellphone (which come out pretty decently no matter what type of phone you have). This application allows me to upload pictures from my phone, and automatically sends them to Flickr, even when I'm not by the computer. Price: Free


3.) Pandora
I know, everyone recommends this one, but it's true what they say. It's awesome! This internet radio lets you find stations in the genre you like, or you can customize by searching artist you love. I normally have this playing while I'm online, which is extremely helpful because it doesn't eat up bandwith/memory while browsing sites. I have never been one for internet radio until I downloaded this app, and I can say I'm addicted. Price: Free


4.) EasyWriter
Do you write a lot of e-mails on the iPhone? This app is for you. EasyWriter, when launched, brings up a sideways keypad which you can type your e-mail quicker and easier than using the keyboard upright. After you are done typing the message the app sends it to your e-mail account where you can then put the subject and person you are sending it to. Price: Free


5.) Lose It!
Ever use Weight Watchers? This app is basically the food journal portion of the program (minus the point system). This application allows you to keep track of the food you eat each day, in addition to how many calories you have consumed. It estimates based on your weight, goal weight, and how long you want it to take to reacht that goal, how many calories you need to eat per day. As someone who is trying to lose weight, this application really does put things in perspective, especially realizing how many days I go without eating even half of my calories (which is just as damaging as eating more calories). Price: Free

Here are some serious contenders that didn't make it into the top five list:
-Subs
Price: $.99 Allows you to view your subscriptions list on Youtube
-Ocarina
Price: $.99 Coolest game application ever, especially for those who loved Zelda
-iHandy Level
Price: Free. I'm a techie, even though I'm surrounded by hundreds of actual levels a day this is just AWESOME
-Shakespeare
Price: Free. Read full Shakespeare script on your iPhone!

No comments: